In this guide, you will find information, resources and links about Canadian constitutional law. This includes some of the following subjects:
- Division of powers
- Parliament & legislatures
Charter of Rights & Freedoms:
- Civil liberties
- Human rights
For information about native rights, treaties, and other aboriginal law matters, check out our research guide on Aboriginal Law.
- Canadian Charter of Rights: the Prosecution and Defence of Criminal and Other Statutory Offences [Loose-leaf], by Roderick M. McLeod … [et al.].
- Canadian Constitutional Law, 6th ed. editor Carissma Mathen, Patrick Macklem Table of Contents
- Canadian Human Rights Act: Quick Reference , 2020 ed. by Jamie Knight … [et al.] Table of Contents
- Constitutional Law, 5th ed. by Patrick J. Monahan, Byron Shaw Table of Contents also available as an e-text
- Constitutional Law of Canada [Loose-leaf], 5th ed. by Peter W. Hogg Table of Contents
- Constitutional Law of Canada, 9th ed. by Joseph Eliot Magnet Table of Contents
- Constitutional Remedies in Canada [Loose-leaf], 2nd ed. by Kent Roach Table of Contents
- Charter of Rights and Freedoms, 7th ed. by Robert Sharpe & Kent Roach Table of Contents Available as an e-text
- Charter Remedies in Criminal Cases: a Practitioner’s Handbook, 2nd ed. by Matthew Asma and Matthew Gourlay. Table of Contents. Also available as an e-text.
- Laws of the Constitution: Consolidated by Donald Bur Table of Contents
Last revised July 27, 2023
Private Security and Fundamental Rights by Lucie Lemonde
Last revised July 20, 2023
For more information on finding cases see our research guide: Finding and researching cases.
Alberta Court Judgments
A collection of the judgments of the Alberta Courts is available from CanLII. The official version of the reasons for judgment is the signed original or handwritten endorsement in the court file. If there is a question about the content of a judgment, the original court file takes precedence.
- Canada Act 1982 (UK), 1982, c 11
- Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Part I of the Constitution Act, 1982, being Schedule B to the Canada Act 1982 (UK), 1982, c 11
- Canadian Human Rights Act, RSC 1985, c H-6
- Constitution Act, 1867 (UK), 30 & 31 Vict, c 3, reprinted in RSC 1985, App II, No 5
- Constitution Act, 1982, being Schedule B to the Canada Act 1982 (UK), 1982, c 11
- The Thirty enactments referred to in the schedule to the Constitution Act
Canadian Encyclopedic Digest
Sections related to Constitutional law include:
- Aboriginal Law.
- Administrative Law.
- Human Rights.
- Municipal Corporations-General.
- Parliament & Legislature.
The CED provides discussion of these areas of law with annotations to legislation and case law.
Available electronically through: Westlaw Canada
Halsbury's Laws of Canada
Halsbury’s Laws of Canada is a multi-volume set includes coverage of Federal, Provincial & Territorial legislation
Also available electronically through: LexisAdvance® Quicklaw®
Titles related to Constitution Law and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms include:
- Aboriginal Law (HAB)
- Administrative Law (HAD)
- Constitutional Law: Charter Rights (HCHR)
- Constitutional Law: Division of Powers (HCL)
- Legislatures (HLE)
Additional information may be found under other topical headings.
- Charter of Rights Newsletter
- Constitutional Forum (Const Forum). Forum Constitutionnel (Forum Const)
- National Journal of Constitutional Law (NJCL). Revue nationale de droit constitutionnel (RNDC)
- Review of Constitutional Studies (Rev Const Stud). Revue d’etudes constitutionnelles (R etudes const)
- The Supreme Court Law Review (Sup Ct L Rev)
Last revised Apr. 6, 2023
- Canadian Journal of Human Rights
- Reports and research papers
- Index to Canadian Legal Literature (ICLL) Available electronically on Westlaw Canada and Lexis Advance® Quicklaw®
- Current index to Legal Periodicals – Available electronically on HeinOnline
Additional full-text articles are available electronically through:
Advocacy & Special Interest Groups
Advocacy & Special Interest Groups
- British Columbia Civil Liberties Association
- Canadian Constitution Foundation
- Canadian Civil Liberties Association
- À bon droit (in French)
- Charter Cases
- Constitutionally Canadian
- Double Aspect (in English and French)
- Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms – provides information about the charter and summaries of each section and its purpose
- Primary Documents -Searchable cite containing historical information on the Constitution
- Supreme Law: an Introduction
- History before 1981
We connect you to the world of legal information in an open and innovative environment.
When you need it. How you need it.