Precedents are samples of common legal documents. These include legal agreements, court pleadings, court forms, and many other types of documents. It is always in your best interest to use a sample from the jurisdiction you are filing in, if the form you are looking for is not available in the correct jurisdiction, you can look at other jurisdictions for guidance. However be aware that you must follow the format laid out by the court you are filing in.
Forms and Precedents can be found in many places:
- Legislation and regulations
- Courts’ website
- Legal Education Society of Alberta Seminar materials (LESA) in our library collection or through the LESA Library.
- or by doing a [Keyword advanced] search of our catalogue for one of these terms: forms, precedents and the subject matter you are looking for. IE forms and bankruptcy. Note that the question mark character represents truncation. e.g. contract? precedent?
Use this guide to help you locate sources for forms and precedents either online or in the library.
- Court of Appeal
- Court of Queen’s Bench- Civil
- Court of Queen’s Bench – Family
- Provincial Court – Criminal
- Provincial Court – Family
- Provincial Court – Small Claims Court and Residential Tenancies
- Provincial Court – Traffic
- Family Law Kits
- Surrogate Forms – non-contentious matters
- Waiving a Filing Fee
- Appeals and Transcripts
Forms and Precedents
Alberta Queen’s Printer includes various forms found in the Regulations such as Land Titles Act forms and Personal Property Security Act forms
- Alberta Land Titles Procedure Manual Scroll down to the manual at the bottom of the screen.
- Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee (OPGT) Alberta – Forms Guardianship, trusteeship and personal directives
Service Alberta This website includes various Alberta government forms, from Consumer Complaints to Vital Statistics.
Legal Education Society of Alberta Online – Available in all Alberta Law Library locations
- Industry Canada: Online Forms Includes forms relating to the Canada Business Corporations Act (CBCA)
Forms and Precedents by subject
- Alberta Civil Practice Manual by Legal Education Society of Alberta Table of Contents
- Canadian Forms & Precedents, 2nd ed. Covers all major subject areas. Also available through LexisAdvance® Quicklaw®
- Carswell’s Form & Precedent Collection : Commercial Precedents Table of Contents Covers a many areas including intellectual property, real estate, commercial leases, customer credit recovery, and information technology.
- O’Briens Encyclopedia of Forms,11th ed.
- Solicitor’s Forms & Precedents – LexisAdvance® Quicklaw® Includes the Canadian Forms and Precedents series and the B.C. Court Forms.
- 101 Law forms for personal use, 11th ed. by the editors of Nolo Table of Contents contains many general contracts for service.
- Practice and Procedure before Administrative Tribunals by Robert Macaulay & James Sprague Table of Contents
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Business and Corporations
- Annotated business agreements by Gregory Harrington Harris & Paul Richard Table of Contents
- Canadian Business Contracts Handbook by Nishan Swais Table of Contents
- Canadian Forms & Precedents : Sale, Distribution & Transport of Goods by Edward Levitt, Kevin McGuiness & Catherine Pawluch Table of Contents Also available through LexisAdvance® Quicklaw®
- Canadian Forms & Precedents : Sale and Operation of a Business, 2nd ed. by John Abraham & Jennifer Babe Table of Contents Also available through LexisAdvance® Quicklaw®
- Commercial Leasing : Annotated Precedents by Ashley Hilliard, Lynda Darling & Linda Parsons
British Columbia Forms Table of Contents
- Corporate Precedents by Gilles Thibault Table of Contents
- Drafting Commercial Agreements, 6th ed. by Richard Christou Table of Contents – UK based
- Drafting shareholder agreements, 2nd ed. by Ricky Ewasiuk Table of Contents
- Guide to CBCA Reform: Analysis and Precedents by Wayne Gray & Casey Halladay Table of Contents
- Joint Ventures, 4th ed. by Ian Hewitt Table of Contents
- Sale and Supply of Goods, 2nd ed. by Kevin P. McGuinness Table of Contents
- Shopping Centre Leases: A Collection of Articles and Precedents, 2nd ed. by Harvey Haber Table of Contents
- Canadian Forms & Precedents. Commercial transactions. Employment, 2nd ed. by Catherine Milne Table of Contents Also available through LexisAdvance® Quicklaw®
- Disability Management Compliance Manual, 5th ed. by Dianne Dyck Table of Contents
- Employment Contracts Handbook, 3rd ed. by Cheryl J. Elliott and Stewart D. Saxe Table of Contents
- Law of Confidential Business Information by Keith G. Fairbairn & Julie A. Thorburn Table of Contents
- Workers’ Compensation Practice in Alberta by Douglas Mah Table of Contents
- Canadian Forms & Precedents: Commercial Transactions. Information Technology & Entertainment, 2nd ed. by Lisa K. Abe et al. Table of Contents – Also available through LexisAdvance® Quicklaw®
- Entertainment Law in Canada by Jacqueline King Table of Contents
- Media and Business Contracts Handbook, 4th ed. by Deborah Fosbrook and Adrian Laing Table of Contents
- Adoption kit : self help kit for private adoptions by Alberta Queen’s Printer Table of Contents
- Alberta divorce kit : guide, forms on CD-Rom, 16th ed. by Louise Campbell Table of Contents
- Alberta family law practice manual by Legal Education Society of Alberta Table of Contents
- British Columbia court forms, 2nd ed by Frederick M. Irvine, ed Table of Contents
- Desk Divorces for Legal Support Staff by Legal Education Society of Alberta
Includes forms and explanation on how to fill them out.
- Domestic Contracts by Legal Education Society of Alberta Table of Contents
- Domestic contracts : a comprehensive guide to marriage, cohabitation, and separation agreements in British Columbia and Ontario by Hugh G. Stark & Kirstie J. MacLise Table of Contents
- Family Law Agreements : Annotated Precedents by Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia
British Columbia based information
- If you love me, put it in writing by Alison Sawyer Table of Contents Prenuptial & Cohabitation agreements
- The Prenuptial Guide : Contracts for Lovers by David Greig & Ross Davidson Table of Contents
- Separation Agreement, 4th ed. by David Greig Table of Contents
- Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Family Law by Robert Klotz Table of Contents
Intellectual Property and Technology
- Canadian Forms & Precedents: Commercial Transactions. Information Technology & Entertainment, 2nd ed. by Lisa K. Abe et al. Table of Contents Also available through LexisAdvance® Quicklaw®
- Canadian Forms & Precedents: Commercial Transactions. Intellectual Property, 2nd ed. by Toni Ashton Table of Contents Also available through LexisAdvance® Quicklaw®
- Drafting and Negotiating Computer Contracts, 2nd ed. UK forms Table of Contents
- Forms and Agreements on Intellectual Property & International Licensing, 3rd ed. by Leslie William Melville Table of Contents
- Franchising, Licensing and Distribution Forms & Precedents by Edward N. Levitt & Lawrence M. Weinberg Table of Contents
- Hughes & Woodley on Patents, 2nd ed. by Roger T. Hughes et al. Table of Contents Also available through LexisAdvance® Quicklaw®
- Hughes on Copyright and Industrial Design, 2nd ed. by Roger T. Hughes et al. Table of Contents Also available through LexisAdvance® Quicklaw®
- Hughes on Trade Marks, 2nd ed. by Roger T. Hughes Table of Contents Also available through LexisAdvance® Quicklaw®
- Intellectual property litigation : forms and precedents by Paul Lomic Table of Contents Includes CD with forms
- O’Brien’s encyclopedia of forms, 11th ed. by John Honsberger
Div. X – Computers and Information Technology
- Social media and internet law: forms and precedents, 2nd ed. by Paul Lomic Table of Contents Includes CD
- Technology Contracting: Law, Precedents and Commentary by Brad Limpert Table of Contents
- Alberta Foreclosure Forms by Legal Education Society of Alberta Table of Contents
- The Art of the Real Estate Deal, 3rd ed. by Barry Lipson Table of Contents
- Canadian Commercial Real Estate Manual Table of Contents
- Commercial Real Estate Essential Tips by Legal Education Society of Alberta
Includes checklists Table of Contents
- Residential Real Estate Transactions, 3rd ed. by JoAnn Kurtz, Joan Emmans and Arlene Blatt Table of Contents
- Alberta wills and estates practice manual by Legal Education Society of Alberta Table of Contents
- Canadian Estate administration Guide. Table of Contents
- Canadian Estate Planning Guide. Table of Contents
- Canadian Forms & Precedents : Wills & Estates, 2nd ed. by Margaret Rintoul Table of Contents Also available through LexisAdvance® Quicklaw®
- Drafting personal directives and enduring powers of attorney by Legal Education Society of Alberta Table of Contents
- Drafting trusts & will trusts in Canada, 5th ed. by James Kessler & Fiona Hunter Table of Contents
- Drafting wills in Canada : a lawyer’s practical guide, 3rd ed. by Robyn Solnik & Mary-Alice Thompson Table of Contents
- Estate Planning Precedents: A Solicitor’s Manual by Lindsay Ann Histrop & Donna C Cappon. Ontario based Table of Contents
- Estates & Trusts Fillable Forms. Available on Westlaw Canada
- Histrop Estate Planning Precedents
- Estate Administration – legislated forms
- Estate Litigation – legislated forms
- Preparation of wills and powers of attorney : first interview to final report, 4th ed. by Mary MacGregor Table of Contents Includes CD
- Tax Planned Will Precedents, 4th ed. by Alison Scott Butler Table of Contents
- Williams on Wills,11th ed. by C.H. Sherrin Table of Contents
Discovery and Trial Question Samples
We connect you to the world of legal information in an open and innovative environment.
When you need it. How you need it.