In this guide, you will find information, resources and links about Criminal Procedure. This includes some of the following subjects:
- Search & Seizure
- Apprehension, Bail and Compelling Appearance
- Pre-trial and Trial Procedure
- Extraordinary Remedies
- Anatomy of Criminal Procedure : a visual guide to the law by Stephen Coughlan & Alex Gorlewski. Table of Contents. Also available as an e-text.
- Annual review of criminal law. Table of Contents
- Canadian Criminal Procedure, 6th ed. by Roger E. Salhany Table of Contents
- Criminal Appeals : a practitioner’s handbook by Mark Halfyard, Michael Dineen and Jonathan Dawe. Table of Contents. Also available as an e-text.
- Criminal Pleadings and Practice in Canada, 2nd ed. by Eugene G. Ewaschuk Table of Contents Section 18 discusses sentencing principles and provides citations to key case law.
- Criminal Practice Manual: a practical guide to handling criminal cases by Christopher Bentley Table of Contents
- Criminal Procedure, 4th ed. by Stephen Coughlan Table of Contents This text is also available as an e-text
- Criminal Procedure in Canada, 2nd ed. by Steven Penney, Vincenzo Rondinelli, James Stribopoulos Table of Contents
- Criminal Trial Rules in Provincial Courts in Canada, fully annotated by Rick Libman Table of Contents
- Procedure in Canadian Criminal Law, 2nd ed. by Tim Quigley Table of Contents
Forms and Precedents
For more information on finding cases see our research guide: Finding and Researching Cases
- Canadian Legal Information Institute (CANLII) – Free full-text access to Canadian case law.
- Lexis Advance® Quicklaw®
- vLex Justis
- WestlawNext Canada
A collection of the judgments of the Alberta Courts is available from CanLII. The official version of the reasons for judgment is the signed original or handwritten endorsement in the court file. If there is a question about the content of a judgment, the original court file takes precedence.
- CanLII – Provincial Court judgments
- CanLII – Court of Queen’s Bench judgments
- CanLII – Court of Appeal judgments
- Canadian Journal of Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Criminal Law Quarterly [electronic resource]
- For the Defence Criminal Lawyers’ Association Newsletter
- Index to Canadian Legal Literature (ICLL) -available electronically on WestlawNext Canada and LexisAdvance® Quicklaw®
Additional full-text articles are available electronically through:
Canadian Encyclopedic Digest
Available electronically through: WestlawNext Canada
Halsbury's Laws of Canada
- Halsbury’s laws of Canada This multi-volume set includes coverage of Federal, Provincial & Territorial legislation. Also available electronically through: Lexis Advance® Quicklaw®
This encyclopedia explains the procedural rules that support the implementation and enforcement of criminal law, allowing you to quickly locate, contextualize and apply the basic elements of the law.
Titles related to Criminal Procedure include:
- Criminal Procedure (HC2)
Additional information may be found under other topical headings.