This guide offers a listing of key resources related to drug offences in Canada. Topics in this area include but are not limited to:
- constitutional and procedural issues
- proceeds of crime
- evidentiary issues
For more information on sentencing also see our research guide : Criminal Law – Sentencing.
Available in Alberta Law Libraries
- Cannabis Law, 2nd ed. by Bruce A. MacFarlane, Robert J. Frater, Croft Michaelson Table of Contents
- Defending drug cases, 4th ed. by
- Prosecuting and Defending Drug Cases : a Practitioners Handbook by Nathan Gorman … [et al]. Table of Contents. Also available as an e-text.
- Wigmore on cannabis: the forensic toxicology of marijuana for lawyers and other medicolegal professionals by James G. Wigmore Table of Contents also available as an e-text
For more information on finding cases see our research guide: Finding and researching cases.
Alberta Court Judgments
A collection of the judgments of the Alberta Courts is available from CanLII. The official version of the reasons for judgment is the signed original or handwritten endorsement in the court file. If there is a question about the content of a judgment, the original court file takes precedence.
Federal Acts and Regulations can be found online:
Regulations under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
Canadian Encyclopedic Digest
Sections related to Drug Offences include:
- Criminal law – Defences.
- Criminal law – Offences.
The CED provides discussion of these areas of law with annotations to legislation and case law.
Available electronically through: Westlaw Canada
Halsbury's Laws of Canada
This encyclopedia explains the legislation and cases which govern family law issues in every jurisdiction in Canada, allowing you to quickly locate, contextualize and apply the basic elements of the law.
Titles related to Drug Offences include:
Additional information may be found under other topical headings.
- For the Defence Criminal Lawyers’ Association Newsletter
We connect you to the world of legal information in an open and innovative environment.
When you need it. How you need it.