This guide offers a listing of key resources related to drug offences in Canada. Topics in this area include but are not limited to:
- constitutional and procedural issues
- proceeds of crime
- evidentiary issues
For more information on sentencing also see our research guide: Criminal Law – Sentencing.
Available in Alberta Law Libraries
- Canada’s Cannabis Act: Annotation & Commentary by Russel Bennett, Alan Young Table of Contents
- Cannabis Law, 2nd ed. by Bruce A. MacFarlane, Robert J. Frater, Croft Michaelson Table of Contents
- Defending Drug Cases, 4th ed. by Michael Bolton Table of Contents
- Prosecuting and Defending Drug Cases: a Practitioners Handbook by Nathan Gorman … [et al]. Table of Contents. Also available as an e-text.
- Wigmore on Cannabis: the Forensic Toxicology of Marijuana for Lawyers and Other Medicolegal Professionals by James G. Wigmore Table of Contents
Last revised Feb. 9, 2023
- Tremeear’s Criminal Code: and the Following Related Statutes, Canada Evidence Act, Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Food and Drugs Act, Narcotic Control Act, Young Offenders Act by David Watt, Michelle K. Fuerst Table of Contents
- Crankshaw’s Criminal Code of Canada: R.S.C. 1985 by Gary P. Rodrigues Table of Contents
Last revised Apr. 6, 2023
For more information on finding cases see our research guide: Finding and researching cases.
Alberta Court Judgments
A collection of the judgments of the Alberta Courts is available from CanLII. The official version of the reasons for judgment is the signed original or handwritten endorsement in the court file. If there is a question about the content of a judgment, the original court file takes precedence.
- Cannabis Act, SC 2018, c 16
- Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, SC 1996, c 19
- Criminal Code, RSC 1985, c. C-46
- Food and Drugs Act, RSC 1985, c F-27
Federal Acts and Regulations can be found online:
Regulations under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
- Benzodiazepines and Other Target Substances Regulations, SOR/2000-217
- Cannabis Regulations, SOR/2018-144
- Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Police Enforcement) Regulations, SOR/97-234
- Industrial Hemp Regulations, SOR/2018-145
- Marihuana for Medical Purposes Regulations, SOR/2013-119
- Narcotic Control Regulations, C.R.C., c. 1041
- New Classes of Practitioners Regulations, SOR/2012-230
- Precursor Control Regulations, SOR/2002-359
- Qualifications for Designations as Analysis Regulations, SOR/98-594
- Regulations Exempting Certain Precursors and Controlled Substances from the Application of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, SOR/97-229
Canadian Encyclopedic Digest
Sections related to Drug Offences include:
- Criminal law – Defences.
- Criminal law – Offences.
The CED provides discussion of these areas of law with annotations to legislation and case law.
Available electronically through: Westlaw Canada
Halsbury's Laws of Canada
This encyclopedia explains the legislation and cases which govern family law issues in every jurisdiction in Canada, allowing you to quickly locate, contextualize and apply the basic elements of the law.
Titles related to Drug Offences include:
Additional information may be found under other topical headings.
- Index to Canadian Legal Literature (ICLL) Available electronically on Westlaw Canada and Lexis Advance® Quicklaw®
- Current index to Legal Periodicals – Available electronically on HeinOnline
- HeinOnline – provides full-text access to Canadian and international law reviews and legal journals.
- LexisAdvance® Quicklaw
- Westlaw Canada – contains a collection of Canadian journals and law reviews, as well as all articles and case comments appearing in Carswell law reports.
- For the Defence Criminal Lawyers’ Association Newsletter
- The Canadian Association of Drug Treatment Court Professionals
- Illicit Drugs and Crime in Canada (Juristat – Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics)
- National Anti-Drug Strategy (Government of Canada)
- Trends in Drug Offences and the Role of Alcohol and Drugs in Crime (Juristat – Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics)
We connect you to the world of legal information in an open and innovative environment.
When you need it. How you need it.