General Mediation Services
- ADR Institute of Alberta Provides information on alternative dispute resolution as well as a free online directory of qualified mediators, arbitrators & other dispute resolution specialists in Alberta.
- ADR Institute of Canada
- Government of Alberta Dispute Resolution Network Provides a listing of various dispute resolution programs within the government.
- Law Central Alberta Alternative Dispute Resolution Links Provides a collection of links to alternative dispute resolution services and information
- Civil Claims mediation – mediation for Provincial court civil claims
- Judicial Dispute Resolution (Court of King’s Bench) Judicial Dispute Resolution (JDR) is a confidential pre-trial settlement conference led by a Justice of the Court of King’s Bench. The objective of a JDR is to resolve the dispute so a trial will be either unnecessary, or at most limited to those issues on which the parties do not agree.
Family Mediation Services
- Alberta Family Mediation Society (AFMS) 1-877-233-0143 Non-profit organization advocating resolution of family conflicts through the use of mediation. AFMS provides Albertans with information about family mediation and offers an online listing of qualified family mediators.
- Association of Collaborative Lawyers of Alberta The Association of Collaborative Family Lawyers offers information on alternative dispute resolution and divorce processes, as well as an online directory of lawyers practicing Collaborative Divorce law and mediation in Alberta.
- Children’s Services Mediation program
- Family mediation and counselling services – Resolution and Court Administration services Mediation is free for qualifying families and is a service to help parents and families in resolving issues that affect their children. Families coping with challenges such as divorce, separation, child custody and access can meet with a mediator to talk about these issues. Through mediation, you may be able to reach a mutual agreement that focuses on your child and avoids going to court. Family mediation is confidential and informal.
Grande Prairie 780-833-4200
Elsewhere in Alberta 403-340-7187
- Dispute Resolution and Mediation after separation
- Family Mediation Canada
Other Specific Mediation Services
- Community Mediation – Calgary 403-269-2707 A charitable non-profit organization of volunteers who provide conflict management and dispute resolution information and assistance through their services and workshops.
- Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Services (RTDRS) 780-644-3000 Toll Free within Alberta dial 310-0000 and then enter the phone number. The RTDRS is a tribunal that gives landlords and tenants a way to settle issues without going to court. There is a $75 application fee.
- Provincial Court Civil Mediation
- Mediation : Building Solutions that Work – Alberta Justice video
- Resolving everyday conflicts
- “Settlement Smarts” for self-represented litigants: how to use settlement processes knowledgeably and effectively
- Ten things you can do to prepare for mediation
- Collaborative Law
- Using mediation to resolve human rights issues in the workplace
Available in Print
- Alternative Dispute Resolution, by Legal Education Society of Alberta Table of Contents
- Alternative dispute resolution in the construction industry in Canada, by Harvey Kirsch Table of Contents
- Bypass Court: a dispute resolution handbook, by Genevieve A. Chornenki & Christine E. Hart Table of Contents
- Collaborative Family Law: another way to resolve family disputes, by Richard W. Shields, Judith P. Ryan & Victoria L. Smith Table of Contents
- Family Mediation and Arbitration for the self-represented : perspectives of a practitioner and trainer, by Richard W. Shields Table of Contents
- Family Mediation, Arbitration and Collaborative Practice Handbook, 5th ed. by Barbara Landau & Lorne Wolfson & Niki Landau Table of Contents
- Getting to Yes: negotiating agreement without giving in, by Roger Fisher & William Ury Table of Contents
- Mediating Employment Disputes, 2nd ed. by Barry Kuretzky & Jennifer Mackenzie Table of Contents
- Mediating Estate Disputes, by Susan Easterbrook & Francine Herlehy Table of Contents
- Mediation Guide : navigate the faster, cheaper, kinder process, by David R. Grieg Table of Contents
- Negotiating With Your Ex, by Brad McRae Table of Contents
- The Fork in the Road : which will you choose? ADR: mediation v. arbitration vs. judicial dispute resolution, by Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers Association. Table of Contents
We connect you to the world of legal information in an open and innovative environment.
When you need it. How you need it.