In this guide, you will find information, resources, and links about Intellectual Property Law. This includes some of the following subjects:
- Trade Marks
- Intellectual Property Law and Business
- Intellectual Property Agreements
- Canada’s Intellectual Property Law in a Nutshell, 3rd ed. by Martin P. Kratz Table of Contents
- Canadian Intellectual Property Law & Strategy: trademarks, copyright, & industrial designs by John S. McKeown Table of Contents
- The Corporate Counsel Guide to Intellectual Property Law by Sheldon Burshtein Table of Contents
- Intellectual Property: the law in Canada, 2nd ed. by Elizabeth F. Judge & Daniel J. Gervais Table of Contents
- Intellectual Property Law: copyright, patents, trade-marks, 2nd ed. by David Vaver Table of Contents
- Intellectual Property Law of Canada by Elliott Stikeman & Stuart C. McCormack Table of Contents
- I Thought of That!: a practical guide to patents, trade-marks, and copyright by Ronald E. Dimock Table of Contents
- Digital Copyright law by Cameron Hutchison Table of Contents
- Fox Canadian Law of Copyright and Industrial Designs, 4th ed. by John S. McKeown Table of Contents
- Hughes on Copyright and Industrial Design, 2nd ed. by Roger T. Hughes et al. Table of Contents
- In the Public Interest: the Future of Canadian Copyright Law by Michael Geist Table of Contents
- Protecting Copyright and Industrial Design 2000, 2nd ed. by Martin P. Kratz Table of Contents
- Canadian Patent Law, 4th ed. by Stephen J. Perry and T. Andrew Currier Table of Contents
- Canadian Patent Law Benchbook, 3rd ed. by Donald Cameron ed. Table of Contents
- Hughes & Woodley on Patents, 2nd ed. by Roger T. Hughes et al. Table of Contents
- Obtaining Patents, 2nd ed. by Martin P. J. Kratz Table of Contents
- Patent Law of Canada by Gordon F. Henderson Table of Contents
- Canadian trademark law, 2nd ed. by Teresa Scassa Table of Contents
- Canadian trademark law Benchbook, 3rd ed. by Donald Cameron ed. Table of Contents
- Fox on Canadian law of Trade-marks & Unfair Competition, 4th ed. by Scott R. Jolliffe & Kelly A. Gill Table of Contents
- Hughes on Trade Marks, 2nd ed. by Roger T. Hughes Table of Contents
- Law of Domain Names & Trade-marks on the Internet by Sheldon Burshtein Table of Contents
- Odutola on Canadian Trademark Practice by Bayo Odutola & Sylvie-Emanuelle Bourbonnais Table of Contents
- Trade-marks and unfair competition law in Canada : cases and commentary, 2nd ed. by Bita Amani, Carys Craig. Table of Contents
Intellectual Property and Business
- Branding and copyright for charities and non-profit organizations, 3rd ed. by Terrance Carter & Shen Goh Table of Contents
- Brand management in Canadian Law, 5th ed. by John S. McKeown Table of Contents
- Canada’s Internet Law in a Nutshell by Martin P. J. Kratz Table of Contents
- Employment Obligations & Confidential Information, 3rd ed. by Gregory K. Steele & Kenneth Thornicroft Table of Contents
- Information Technology Transactions: Business, Management and Legal Strategies, 3rd ed. by Duncan Cornell Card Table of Contents
- Intellectual Property Disputes: Resolutions & Remedies by Ronald E. Dimock Table of Contents
- Law of Confidential Business Information by Keith G. Fairbairn & Julie A. Thorburn Table of Contents
- Ramsay on technology transfers and licensing, 3rd ed. by John Ramsay Table of Contents
- Secured Lending in Intellectual Property, 2nd ed. by Kiriakoula Hatzikiriakos. Table of Contents
- Security Interests in Intellectual Property by Howard P. Knopf Table of Contents
- Sookman: Computer, Internet & Electronic Commerce Law by Barry B. Sookman Table of Contents
- Technology Contracting: Law, Precedents and Commentary by Brad Limpert Table of Contents
Forms and Precedents
- Canadian Forms & Precedents: Commercial Transactions. Information Technology & Entertainment, 2nd ed. by Lisa K. Abe et al. Table of Contents
- Canadian Forms & Precedents: Commercial Transactions. Intellectual Property, 2nd ed. by Toni Ashton Table of Contents
- Forms and Agreements on Intellectual Property & International Licensing, 3rd ed. by Leslie William Melville Table of Contents
- Franchising, Licensing and Distribution Forms & Precedents by Edward N. Levitt & Lawrence M. Weinberg Table of Contents
- Intellectual property management: best practices by John T. Ramsay Table of Contents
- Intellectual property litigation : forms and precedents by Paul Lomic Table of Contents
Includes CD with forms
- O’Brien’s encyclopedia of forms, 11th ed. by John Honsberger
For more information on finding cases see our research guide : Finding and Researching Cases
- Copyright Board of Canada – Includes administrative decisions of the Board since 1990.
- Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents – Includes decisions of the Commissioner since 1989.
- Lexis Advance® Quicklaw®
- Trade-Marks Opposition Board – Includes coverage of the Board’s decisions since 1990.
- vLex Justis
- Westlaw Canada
Alberta Court Judgments
A collection of the judgments of the Alberta Courts is available from CanLII. The official version of the reasons for judgment is the signed original or handwritten endorsement in the court file. If there is a question about the content of a judgment, the original court file takes precedence.
In Canada, the regulation of Intellectual Property is a matter of Federal responsibility.
Federal Acts and Regulations can be found electronically at:
Canadian Encyclopedic Digest
The CED provides discussion with annotations to legislation and case law.
Sections relate to intellectual property include:
- Trade-marks and industrial designs.
Available electronically through: Westlaw Canada (LawSource)
Halsbury's Laws of Canada
This multi-volume set includes coverage of Federal, Provincial & Territorial legislation. Also available electronically through Lexis Advance® Quicklaw®
Titles related to Intellectual Property Law include:
- Copyright (HCY)
- Patents, trade secrets and industrial designs (HPT)
- Trade-marks, passing off and unfair competition (HTM)
Additional information may be found under other topical headings.
Canadian Intellectual Property Office – This site groups information on all areas of Canadian intellectual property law, and it and provides links to relevant federal legislation, forms, guides, publications, news, and additional information.
World Intellectual Property Organization – The site includes an extensive collection of international material on intellectual property, including treaties and laws.
We connect you to the world of legal information in an open and innovative environment.
When you need it. How you need it.