Generally, labour refers to work in unionized work settings. Labour law is a body of laws, administrative rulings, and precedents which address the legal rights of, and restrictions on unionized workers and their employers.
Each province and territory has its own legislation relating to labour law. There are also federal labour laws that apply to workers in federally regulated industries that can include inter-provincial or international transportation, radio, television, postal service, banking and some crown corporations.
Related topics include:
- Workplace health and safety
- Labour Arbitration
- Collective Bargaining
- Human rights in the workplace
- Industrial relations
- Collective Agreements
- Canadian Labour Arbitration, 5th ed. by Donald J.M. Brown & David M. Beatty Table of Contents
- Canadian Labour Law by George W. Adams Table of Contents
- Canadian Labour Relations : law, policy and practice, 2nd ed. by David J. Doorey & Alison Braley-Rattai
- Canadian Master Labour Guide by CCH Canadian Limited Table of Contents
- Clarke’s Canada Industrial Relations Board by Graham J. Clarke Table of Contents
- Evidence and Procedure in Canadian Labour Arbitration by Morley R. Gorsky, S. J. Usprich & Gregory J. Brandt Table of Contents
- Judicial Review in Labour Law by Richard J. Charney & Thomas E.F. Brady Table of Contents
- Labour and Employment Law: Cases, Materials and Commentary, 9th ed. by Labour Law Casebook Group Table of Contents
- Labour Law in Canada, 5th ed. by Donald D. Carter Table of Contents
- Labour Relations Code: Practitioner’s Manual by Alberta Labour Relations Board Table of Contents
- Trade Union Law in Canada by Michael MacNeil, Michael Lynk & Peter Engelmann Table of Contents
Last revised Dec. 22, 2022
For more information on finding cases see our research guide: Finding and Researching Cases
- Alberta Grievance Arbitration Awards
- Alberta Interest Arbitration Awards
- Alberta Labour Relations Board Reports
- Canadian Cases on Employment Law
- Canadian Cases on Pensions and Benefits
- Canadian Labour Law Cases
- Canadian Labour Law Reporter
- Canadian Labour Relations Boards Reports
- Dismissal and Employment Law Digest
- Labour Arbitration Cases
- Lancaster Labour Law Reports
Federal Acts and Regulations can be found electronically at:
To access or purchase the official version, go to: Alberta King’s Printer
- Index to Canadian Legal Literature (ICLL) available electronically on Westlaw Canada and Lexis Advance® Quicklaw®
- Current index to Legal Periodicals – Available electronically on HeinOnline
- NATLEX – a database of national labour, social security and related human rights legislation maintained by the ILO’s International Labour Standards Department. Records in NATLEX provide abstracts of legislation and relevant citation information, and they are indexed by keywords and by subject classifications. NATLEX contains over 80,000 records covering 196 countries and over 160 territories and subdivisions.
- National Labour Law Profiles – This project is not updated anymore and kept for historical analysis of labour law only. The purpose of this site is to facilitate a general understanding of how labour law works in each country and in some cases include a bibliography and a list of links.
- International Tax and Business Guides (Deloitte) – Scan for the labor relations and labor force section. Includes topics such as employee rights, working hours, wages, benefits, and labor-management relations.
- Labour studies index
We connect you to the world of legal information in an open and innovative environment.
When you need it. How you need it.