In this guide, you will find information, resources and links about immigration law. This includes information about:
- the immigration application process;
- resources available for new immigrants living in Alberta
Available in Print
- Annotated Immigration and Refugee Protection Act of Canada, by Henry M. Goslett & Barbara Jo Caruso Table of Contents
- Canadian Immigration & Refugee Law Practice, by Lorne Waldman Table of Contents
- Canadian Immigration & refugee law for legal professionals, 4th ed. by Lynn Fournier-Ruggles Table of Contents
- Canadian Immigration and refugee law : a practitioner’s handbook, 3rd ed. by Chantal Desloges & Cathryn Sawicki Table of Contents
- Immigration Law, 2nd ed. by Jamie Chai Yun Liew, Donald Galloway Table of Contents
Also available as an e-text
- Immigration Law & Practice, 2nd ed. by Lorne Waldman Table of Contents
- Judicial review of immigration decisions, by Lorne Waldman Table of Contents
- Refugee Law, 2nd ed. by Sasha Baglay & Martin Jones Table of Contents
From the Alberta Law Reform Institute
The Alberta Law Reform Institute (ALRI) is the official law reform agency for the province of Alberta. It provides independent comprehensive advice to the Government of Alberta and other agencies to ensure that the law and administration of justice are kept up to date and serve Albertans to the best extent possible. Many of ALRI’s publications are available for free online.
ALRI materials are searchable by keyword through the ALL catalogue.
Here are some search tips:
- Search for “Alberta Law Reform Institute” as the AUTHOR
- Limit your search to include subjects and/or titles on your topic
- Look for more detailed information under the Table of Contents display option in the right-hand toolbar
For more information on finding cases see our research guide: Finding and Researching Cases
A collection of the judgments of the Alberta Courts is available from CanLII. The official version of the reasons for judgment is the signed original or handwritten endorsement in the court file. If there is a question about the content of a judgment, the original court file takes precedence.
- Canadian Bill of Rights, SC 1960, c 44
- Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- Citizenship Act RSC 1985, c C-29
- Constitution Act, 1867 to 1982
- Crimes Against Humanity and War Crimes Act, SC 2000, c 24
- Extradition Act, SC 1999, c 18
- Federal Courts Immigration and Refugee Protection Rules, SOR/93-22
- Federal Courts Rules, SOR/98-106
- Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, SC 2001, c 27
- Immigration Appeal Division Rules, SOR/2002-230
- Immigration Division Rules, SOR/2002-229
- Immigration Guidelines, SI/80-125
- Immigration Investigation Regulations, SOR/80-686
- Refugee Protection Division Rules, SOR/2012-256
Federal Acts and Regulations can be found electronically at:
- Business Corporations Act, RSA 2000, c B-9
- Companies Act, RSA 2000, c C-21
- Cooperatives Act, SA 2001, c 28.1
- Fair Trading Act, RSA 2000, c F-2
- Franchises Act, RSA 2000, c F-23
- Partnership Act, RSA 2000, c P-3
- Sales of Goods Act, RSA 2000, c S-2
- Securities Act, RSA 2000, c S-4
- Societies Act, RSA 2000, c S-14
To access or purchase the official version, go to: Alberta Queen’s Printer
Canadian Encyclopedic Digest
Includes coverage of Federal, Provincial (4 Western provinces) and Territorial legislation.
Sections related to Immigration Law include:
- Immigration and Refugees
The CED provides discussion of these areas of law with annotations to legislation and case law.
Available electronically through: Westlaw Canada
Halsbury's Laws of Canada
This multi-volume set includes coverage of Federal, Provincial & Territorial legislation. Also available electronically through: Lexis Advance® Quicklaw®
This encyclopedia explains the legislation and cases which govern immigration law issues in every jurisdiction in Canada, allowing you to quickly locate, contextualize and apply the basic elements of the law.
Titles related to Immigration Law include:
Additional information may be found under other topical headings.
- Index to Canadian Legal Literature (ICLL)
Available electronically on Westlaw Canada and Lexis Advance® Quicklaw®
Additional full-text articles are available electronically through:
Immigration Applications and Appeals
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
Information for New Immigrants
We connect you to the world of legal information in an open and innovative environment.
When you need it. How you need it.